Plastic,reconstructive AND COSMETIC Surgeon
Plastic Cosmetic Surgery
After the surgery, there will be some swelling, bruising, discomfort, numbness and discoloration that can be controlled with oral medications, cold compression and ointments. The swelling and bruising usually last between 2-3 weeks but in some patients, this can last longer. Patients are adviced to wear a support bra for 6 weeks, this will help support the breasts during the healing process. There should not be any intense physical exercise for at least 2 weeks.
Oral antibiotics and analgesics will be prescribed to reduce the risk of infection and postoperative pain respectively. Stitches will be removed about 7-10 days after the surgery. The result of surgery will appear within several weeks, but it may take up to a year for the scar to fully mature.
Risks of Breast reduction
Although serious complication from breast reduction surgery is uncommon, potential candidates should understand that every procedure comes with it a certain risk and has a recovery period (down time). Preoperative preparation and postoperative care will help to minimize their incidence.
The more common complications from breast reduction surgery are:
1. Bleeding (primary or secondary)
5. Poor wound healing (especially in smokers)
6. Loss or decrease sensation of the nipple areolar complex
8. Skin discoloration
9. Asymmetry and unevenness of skin and breast contour.
10. Possibility of loss of nipple areolar complex, skin and breast tissue.
11. Revision surgery
12. Anaesthesia risks
13. Fluid accumulation
Breast reduction surgery is performed under general anaesthesia and usually takes about 3-4 hours. The surgeon makes incisions based on the planning before the surgery. The incision usually goes around the areolar and down the breast to the breast crease. The size of the areolar is reduced and skin and breast tissue are removed. The nipple areolar complex is then repositioned to a higher level and the remainder of the breast tissue sculpted to the desired size and shape. When the surgeon is satisfied with the proportions, a drain is inserted in the surgical wound and the wounds closed with sutures.
Once the procedure is completed, a light dressing and antibiotic ointment will be applied to the incision site. The wounds will be dressed and the breasts taped to preserve its shape. The drains are usually kept for 1-2 days or until the fluid coming out is minimal.Type your paragraph here.
Candidates for Breast reduction
1. Generally healthy individuals .
2. Concern about overly large breasts.
3. Physical symptoms (neck pain, back pain etc) or physical limitations due to the size of the breasts.
4. Long and pendulous breasts causing skin stretching and areolar enlargement.
5. Skin irritations and rashes in the breasts crease due to overly large and pendulous breasts.
6. Unequal size or positioned breasts.
7. Non smoker.
MALAYSIAN SOCIETY OF PLASTIC RECONSTRUCTIVE SURGERY